Friday, February 11, 2011

Don't give up

Just  the pass few days, I have been experiencing a bit of 'conflict' at work. I know it has affected me in some way. I started off the week happy as I had a job and believed it to be a good place to work at. However, I have been a little disappointed at the way how some of the testers in Australia treat me.

My team is made of 4 people. One of them which is my friend, one who is a very nice manager, and another a nice gentleman previously from a electronics company. They're all nice and I believe I can learn a lot from them (I hope). But the pass 2 weeks, my manager has been away, my buddy friend is in Melbourne, and the nice gentlemen is always on site due to some critical failures. Hence I have offered my help to some testers who arrived from Melbourne 2 weeks ago. My role has been assisting them with testing. Pretty much doing everything that was ordered.

I didn't mind that. Yet just recently I realised that I have not gained their respect I believe. I feel that they're not the nicest people to me from the way how they treat me despite how hard I've tried to work. Being there early, working overtime, even 12 hours on weekends when I don't get paid (just temporary for the 6 months probation period), and being diligent. I understand that they all have a lot of experience hence I respect them in their field of expertise. Yet I have been mocked at when I act as a 'protector'  on the railway corridors (I have a license for that but was taken away..I'll explain that later)  and asked to do things like carrying their bags for them to the car and cleaning up stuff. Worst case was talking back behind my back and causing my railway protection license to be temporary taken away. There was a tester who didn't like how I performed the protection when I was on the railroad, and hence told a manager who approached me, finally stating that I should hold onto my license and not use it until a certain time due to insufficient lack of experience I have on the railway. Anyway that was a hard blow for me today when he said that to me. I have been sucking it in pretty well so far until he did that I just felt terrible.

Anyway, going to let that go now since i've gotten it out of my system here. Even though I might be lack of experience now. I'm going to work hard, extra hard, and be a valuable employee to the company. There was a story that I read @ gizmodo at the bottom, which I believe gave me a rush of motivation to performed my best tomorrow and the days to come.




***************************************************************************************************




This photo is showing you the edge of a razor blade at about 400x magnification. Yes, that's how close you have to get in order to read the motto hand engraved onto the surface by a 64-year-old man named Graham Short.
The engraving in the photograph was preceded by about 150 failed attempts—engravings which were ruined by a shaky slip of the hand. This number of failed attempts may seem large, but you have to consider how insanely difficult it is to engrave something onto the edge of a razor blade. There's preparation and training involved:
[Short] was only able to work at night, when traffic vibrations are at a minimum, with his right arm bound to the arm of his chair with a luggage strap to minimise unwanted movement. He uses a stethoscope to monitor his heart, attempting a stroke of the letter only between beats, when his body is perfectly still. He swims 10,000 metres a day and can slow his heart rate to 30 beats a minute.
He worked from midnight to 5:30 am most nights of the week, for seven months on his razor blade. On a good night he'd manage three minuscule letters.

So whatever situation you may be in at the moment (yours might be even worst than mine), just work doubly hard. I believe hard work always pays off, but there will be a cost.

Source : http://gizmodo.com/#!5757564/what-it-takes-to-engrave-words-onto-the-edge-of-a-razor-blade

3 comments:

Aunty Elaine said...

Hi Richard,
Reading what you are going through brings back memories for me.....when I started work, I had to do all the donkey work too....photocopy, casting, carrying files for the seniors, making drinks for them etc etc....its a phase juniors go through in most professions. But take heart, its just a phase.....and it shall pass!

sonictAn said...

Hi A.Elaine! Thanks for that. I'll try not to let it bother me =)

Hope you and uncle Steven are well.

Aunty Elaine said...

I like your positive attitudes! Keep it up!
Uncle Steven and I are fine.....tq!